Fundamentals of the AR-15 Platform (AR-15 101)
So… you’re ready to buy, you’ve bought, or maybe even built, an AR-15? Awesome! Now you need to be able to use it properly, clean it effectively, and thoroughly understand how it works. You need training.
Join us for 6 hours of in-depth training from one of our Master Instructors Randy Levander (USCCA Certified Instructor; NRA-certified Pistol Instructor; USAF Combat Arms Instructor; Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training Instructor) as he delivers first rate classroom and range instruction on the AR-15 platform. Lunch will be provided by Mama Pepino’s Pizza. If you need both the gun and the training we can help. Our retail partner, Gunner Arms and Ammo can sell you an AR-15. Just inquire.
- With the cost of ammo, we will keep round count to a minimum, approximately 50 rounds. This indoor class will require frangible ammunition. The indoor range limitations require us to have frangible ammo with rifle rounds at/smaller than 5.56mm NATO and pistol rounds at/smaller than .45 ACP. In particular, we cannot allow rifle ammunition which is 7.62 or .308 (or larger) at the indoor range. If you need assistance in finding frangible ammunition in any of these calibers, just ask.
- As with all our training, your spot is safely secured by completing the payment process rather than merely the reservation.
A brief look at
What You’ll Learn
Safety & Training Goals
Concepts of Counter-Ambush Training and Combat-Focused Shooting
Practical Shooting Skills to Survive a Critical Dynamic Incident
What the class will be like…
The classroom setting for this class is entirely in person in our Pittsburgh-area facilities in West Mifflin, PA.
This class is a total of approximately 3 classroom hours, and 2.5 live-fire range hours. 30 minutes is set aside for lunch.
Because this is a live-fire course, safety considerations require a class size of not greater than 10 students. Classes may be rescheduled if there is insufficient registration.
There are no mandatory prerequisites (except, of course, legally owning/possessing an AR-15 or suitable variant). Students need not have ever shot their AR-15… new shooters are welcome.
If your class has a classroom session, here’s “What To Bring To The Class”
When you come to the class, you will need:
- Note-taking material
- A curious and open mind
- No ammunition whatsoever.
- A water bottle or other refreshments suitable for the class duration. Refreshments may be provided for some classes – check the individual class.
Most commonly we will be shooting at our own private indoor range in West Mifflin, located here. This is an unheated underground indoor range with full amenities. The temperature at the range is typically in the mid 50’s in the winter and the 70’s in the summer. Layering may be appropriate
Occasionally the range day will be held elsewhere. The specific registration page for each class will indicate the location of the range as well as the classroom (if applicable).
What To Bring To The Range
When you come to the range, you will need:
- Protective eyewear
- Protective earwear
- A freshly cleaned, fully-functioning AR-15 or variant.
- 50-75 rounds of frangible ammunition suitable for your rifle. You may have some ammo left over to be used for practicing your new skills.
- Footwear suitable for the terrain (no open-toed shoes)
- Note-taking material
- An attitude consistent with a student who is willing to be an attentive, diligent and safe learner.
What You Will Receive
Successful participants will also receive a certificate from Intrepid Firearms Academy signed by that organzation as well as your instructor.
The normal fee for this class is $200.00. This includes the classroom and live-fire range training and certification from Intrepid Firearms Academy. Please check the individual class page before registering to see if there are modification for the specific class.
Click below to register for Fundamentals of the AR-15 Platform (AR-15 101)
If we have a class that’s currently scheduled, you can register right away using the “Register for AR-15 101” button. If not, click the “Put me the The List!” button to send us an e-mail about your interest in AR-15 101.