Defensive Shooting Fundamentals-Level 1
This class is suited for the student who has shot a pistol before but with limited experience or instruction; generally NOT a first-timer. This is for the student who wants to go from “I know how to shoot” to “I know how to shoot properly, proficiently, and safely so I can defend my life and the life of others.”
This is a blended learning experience – part online learning, part live-fire range training – from the leaders in defensive shooting, the United States Concealed Carry Association.
A brief look at
What You’ll Learn
Safety & Training Goals
Concepts of Counter-Ambush Training and Combat-Focused Shooting
Practical Shooting Skills to Survive a Critical Dynamic Incident
What the class will be like…
The classroom setting for this class is entirely online. Once you register and pay for the live-fire portion of the course, you will be sent an e-mail from the USCCA with the link to the eLearning. Your textbook will be mailed to your home as well.
This class is a total of approximately 5 online learning hours (depending upon how quickly you move through the online course), and 6-7 live-fire range hours. Check the individual class to confirm the schedule.
Because this is a live-fire course, safety considerations require a class size of not greater than 10 students. Classes may be rescheduled if there is insufficient registration.
There are no mandatory prerequisites (except, of course, successfully completing the online eLearning in advance). Ideally, students will have shot a handgun before and have some proficiency with its operation. If students are eager to progress through the development of handgun proficiency with a more measured pace, they might consider either of the two following courses first:
- Basic Handgun Fundamentals (USCCA)
- Concealed Carry Fundamentals (USCCA)
- Home Defense Fundamentals (USCCA)
- Women’s Basic Handgun (USCCA)
- Basics Of Pistol Shooting (NRA)
If your class has a classroom session, here’s “What To Bring To The Class”
When you come to the class, you will need:
- Note-taking material
- A curious and open mind
- No ammunition whatsoever (all classes have a strict “no ammo” policy to avoid accidental or negligent discharges)
- A water bottle or other refreshments suitable for the class duration. Refreshments may be provided for some classes – check the individual class.
Most commonly we will be shooting at a rented range in New Kensington, PA, located here. This is an outdoor range with bathroom facilities.
Occasionally the range day will be held elsewhere. The specific registration page for each class will indicate the location of the range as well as the classroom (if applicable).
What To Bring To The Range
When you come to the range, you will need:
- Protective eyewear
- Protective earwear
- A freshly cleaned, fully-functioning pistol
- A holster designed for your particular pistol which fully covers the trigger and trigger guard
- 350 rounds of quality ammunition suitable for your pistol. We strongly recommend less expensive but reputable full metal jacket (FMJ) ammo. You may have some ammo left over to be used for practicing your new skills when the class is done.
- Footwear suitable for the terrain (no open-toed shoes)
- Snacks/food sufficient for the duration on the range based upon your personal needs
- Note-taking material
- A attitude consistent with a student who is willing to be an attentive, diligent and safe learner
What You Will Receive
All participants will receive a well-researched and well-written, full-color text for this class. Successful participants will also receive a certificate from the USCCA signed by that organzation as well as your instructor.
The normal fee for this class is $195.00. This includes the text, online learning, live-fire range training and certification from Intrepid Firearms Academy as well as the USCCA. Please check the individual class page before registering to see if there are modification for the specific class.
Click below to register for Defensive Shooting Fundamentals - Level 1
If we have a class that’s currently scheduled, you can register right away using the “Register for DSF-L1” button. If not, click the “Put me the The List!” button to send us an e-mail about your interest in DSF-L1.